|Posted by Darren Mckeown on March 22, 2012 at 10:10 AM||comments (2)|
2 weeks back all the breeding cages/ nest boxes were scrubbed and F10nd, the cocks had been tested all those that i wanted to use that were showing fertile, have been put together awaiting hens. After making visual pairings the pedigress were double checked so not to get to close.
All pairs have had the nests open now for scince Saturday all the hens are now activley clearing out the goldchip, so fingers crossed for full eggs
|Posted by Darren Mckeown on January 16, 2012 at 6:30 AM||comments (0)|
Of the 8 pairs i have rung 17 with 3 more to go averaging 2.2 per nest is not good, having lost a few being addled and few maiden hens not feeding right and loosing the odd chick, this warm weather should of been a blessing but not had the luck
|Posted by Darren Mckeown on December 16, 2011 at 8:20 AM||comments (0)|
I had paired a few up early with mixed results
Pair 1 has raised 2 chicks so far then went on to lay 2 soft shelled eggs after giving her calcivit in the water the 3rd egg is fine.
pair 3 has one chick
Pair 5 3 chicks hatched she did not feed properly so was split up
pair 2 three hatched then died cock was dry so placed in another cock 5 eggs all full
all the other pairs are now on 2/3 eggs and all showing full so come the new rings arriving i will have chicks to ring in the new year
|Posted by Darren Mckeown on December 16, 2011 at 8:10 AM||comments (0)|
York & district budgerigars society members show was held in November and i was fortunate to take Best in show with an Opaline Light green hen, (she was unlucky at this years club show and came second in the CC line up geting best Op sex) so very happy with her
|Posted by Darren Mckeown on August 24, 2011 at 10:20 AM||comments (0)|
To date i have rung 60 birds with 5 more to ring and in the comming weeks i will be looking to reduce the number of birds i retain for the next seasons breeding team, most of the better hens produced are carrying slight ticking and this will have to be managed over the following years.
|Posted by Darren Mckeown on February 9, 2011 at 4:38 PM||comments (0)|
Out of the 9 pairs 5 were are raising chicks, 3 had clear rounds the last decided to abondon all the 6 full eggs she had 2 days before they were due to come off :(.
The 2 of the clear rounds were removed to go down again with no results and one maiden hen becomming eggbound which had to be eased out after 5 days these are now resting in the flight, one hen had the cock cahnged a has 6 full eggs first hatched yesterday, the hen that abandoned the eggs laid 3 days after they were removed, only 2 eggs and both clear these have been removed with the hope she will lay again.
I have rung 11 so far and have 2 hens on their second round fingers crossed for better
A nice hen 34 days old
|Posted by Darren Mckeown on December 16, 2010 at 6:07 AM||comments (0)|
All 9 breeding cages are now full, first 3 pairs up are all laying and one pair with 3 eggs is showing fertile so we are off and running for tne 2011 rings. Out of the 9 cages i have 2 sisters, a cousin to the sisters, and the grandmother to both the sisters and cousins, on the other line father 2 sisters seperate cages, the other 2 consist of long distant 3rd cousins to either lines,
so we shall see if it pays dividends
|Posted by Darren Mckeown on December 3, 2010 at 9:32 AM||comments (0)|
Just to update things the breeding cages are now fitted fronts on and perspex dividers are now made giving me a total of 9
i have made up some new nest boxes decided to go larger and with plastic this year, so have made them pvc facia board and glued together
|Posted by Darren Mckeown on November 15, 2010 at 3:39 AM||comments (0)|
Over the last 5 weeks i have been making significant changes to my shed, i have removed the outside flight, even though the both i and the birsd love the outside flight, i could utilise the space better be enclosing it into my small setup and have it as a 8 x 3 foot intenal flight, i have lined the whole of the inside flight with 300mm upv hollow T&G soffit board, this was fitted wrong side up for the walls creating an easy clean surface, the flght has a raised floor at one end allowing me some storage for seed and floor and nestr covering, i have used 1 inch square aluminium tubing with 1 x 1/2 mesh riveted in place to make up the panels, i will shortly be making up the breeding cages to pair up early december.
Shed before flight removed and enclosed
|Posted by Darren Mckeown on October 10, 2010 at 3:13 PM||comments (0)|
This years club show was once again a great spectacle, and a credit to all those involved in putting together a thoroughly entertaining profssional event. Congratulations to Les Martyn on his Best in Show.
I enjoyed the whole 2 day event had a great time at the Gala dinner meeting freinds and making new ones.
The Culmination of the whole event was getting my first ever CC Oaline Cinnamon Green Young Bird,even sweeter it was at the club show, this follwed up with Op sex hen AA in lights greens. So happy so onto the new breeding season